I've been asked to sign a Section 20 Agreement. What are my rights?

A 'Section 20 Agreement' is an agreement between parent(s) and Social Services allowing the Local Authority to temporarily take children into the care of the Local Authority. You should be aware that:

  • The consent of every person with parental responsibility must be sought if the Local Authority wants to accommodate a child under s.20
  • A Section 20 Agreement is voluntary. You do not have to sign it
  • If you have signed a Section 20 Agreement, you can withdraw your consent at any time, but Social services often ask for 7 days’ notice in writing
You should never feel forced into signing a Section 20 Agreement.

Why Act Now?

If you have been asked to sign a Section 20 Agreement, it is likely that Social Services may be considering taking action in respect of your children. Contact us for advice before you sign the Agreement.

If you have already signed a Section 20 Agreement and you have changed your mind, contact us as soon as possible.

Go Back

Our People

Contact us by phone or use the form below

Dudley, Kingswinford & Merry Hill: 01384 811 811 | Worcester: 01905 900 900 | Walsall: 01922 311 100 | Cheltenham: 01242 375 100

+ Show Contact Form

Your Details

Enquiry Details


What Our Clients Say About Us...

Thank you so much for your tenacity and pragmatic approach. This has been the most efficient and straightforward transaction.

Nick Horton, Chairman, Select Lifestyles Limited