Motoring Offences

There can be a wide range of driving offences which can often be complex. There are two main categories to note: dangerous driving and careless driving.

Driving offences can include document offences, such as driving without a licence or without insurance, or more serious offences that involve road traffic collisions and serious injury.

The potential penalty depends on the type of and range from fines and penalty points to disqualification and even custodial sentences.

It is important that you get early legal advice if you find yourself accused of a driving offence.

The risk of losing your licence can have deverstating consequences for you and your family.  You could risk losing your job.  You may not be able to drive to visit and care for elderly relatives.  How would the children get to school.  At Waldrons we understand just how important a driving licence is with to you and we can help.

Motoring Offences


How much are Driving Offence Solicitors’ costs?

Crime Fixed Fees Aug 23

You can contact a member of the team at Waldrons for free initial telephone advice where we will be able to advise you concerning the next steps and where possible provide you with a quote for our fees. Our fees will be on a fixed fee basis with no hidden costs and outline below are some of our typical fees:

Uplifts for distant courts, very unusual cases or extra hearings but this is a guide.  The driving matters fees are published on the website so make sure you can justify any uplifts in case of queries


Initial telephone advice Free
Subsequent attendance and preliminary advice £125 + VAT (£150 total)
Letters of mitigation to the Court £150 + VAT (£180 total)
Preparation of case for self-representation £300 + VAT (£360 total)
Careless driving or speeding without serious/aggravating features £400 + VAT (£480 total)
Special reasons  / exceptional hardship & Careless driving/speeding with serious/aggravating features where can be disqualified £750 + VAT

(£900 total)

Single hearing for a guilty plea £450 + VAT (£540 total)
Half day trial in the Magistrates’ Court and, committal for sentence or cases where the driver is driving more than 30mph over the speed limit £950 + VAT (£1140 total)
Full day Trial in the Magistrates’ Court £1200 + VAT (£1440 total)


Please note that Crown Court trials will be assessed individually on a case by case basis considering their complexity. We will also require our fees to be paid where travel is outside the local area and for any disbursements where appropriate.

What shall I do if I receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution from the Police?

The first thing you should do if you receive a notice of intended prosecution is contact us and we will advise you as to the next steps. The police are required to serve this type of notice within 14 days in most cases unless there has been an accident, you were already told verbally by the police of he intended prosecution or you were offered a fixed penalty notice.

The police may also serve you with a section 172 notice asking you to identify the driver of a vehicle, you need to respond to this notice within 14 days, otherwise this is an offence that attracts 6 points. Call us today we will be able to help you with this.

What shall I do if I am invited to an interview with the Police about a driving offence?

Waldrons should be your first port of call if you are contacted by the police and invited to an interview under caution in relation to a driving matter. You have a right to free and independent legal advice and you should tell the police that you wish to seek legal advice before you speak to them. We are able to contact the police on your behalf to arrange the interview and one of our expert legal advisors will be on hand to advise you and assist you at the police station and during your interview.

If you find yourself subject to arrest because of an alleged driving offence you should ask the custody officer to contact Waldrons on your behalf and we will be at the police station within forty-five minutes to assist you.

Am I going to lose my driving licence?

Whether or not you will lose your driving licence depends on the offence you find yourself charged with. There are certain offences that carry an obligatory disqualification. This means that the Court has to disqualify you from driving. Some examples include drink driving where there is a minimum disqualification of 12 months unless you can establish special reasons and dangerous driving, which carries a minimum disqualification of 24 months. Call Waldrons today and we would be happy to advise you whether you stand to lose your driving licence and what steps you can take to reduce the disqualification.

Why choose Waldrons?

Flexibility We are available for appointments at your home, at hospital or another location that’s convenient for you.
Dedicated You will have direct access to a Legal Advisor throughout your matter.
Established We have over 150 years’ experience in providing specialist legal advice representing individuals.
Costs We are clear on costs 100% of the time.
Motoring Offences

Accreditations and Affiliations

Any solicitor can say they are experienced in what they do. We go the extra mile to demonstrate our expertise. Many of our lawyers have undertaken independent assessments of their knowledge and skills. Our accreditations give you the assurance that you are dealing with a specialist.

Motoring Offences

Contact Us

By submitting this form I agree to allow Waldrons Solicitors Ltd. to process my details in accordance with Waldrons’ privacy policy.