It’s no easy task being the fun police but as the Christmas Party is still a work event it’s important you lay down some ground rules.
● Ensure that there are limits on the drinks – people need to get home safely and there is also the danger that when people have had too much to drink their behaviour becomes inappropriate.
● Allow staff not to attend – you can require them to book the time off as holiday instead if it’s during work hours.
● Only post pictures on social media with the permission of those in the pictures.
● Avoid the mistletoe – sexual harassment in the workplace is a serious matter and with such traditions and alcohol flowing the boundaries can sometimes become blurred. Even so it is not acceptable and should be treated as gross misconduct. Sexual harassment is unwanted conduct of a sexual nature which has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment or of violating that person’s dignity. The key wording here is “or effect” – the intention of the person does not matter.
● Remind staff that inappropriate behaviour will be dealt with as a disciplinary matter