There are a number of employment rights that apply from day 1 in the workplace – these include:
● The right to a contract of employment
● The right not to be unfairly dismissed for a reason connected with pregnancy, childbirth, or statutory maternity, paternity, adoption or parental or dependant care or leave; a health and safety reason, a reason connected with the Working Time Regulations, making a protected disclosure; being a representative in relation to pensions, TUPE or a Union; for asserting certain statutory rights.
● The right to paid time off to attend antenatal appointments or accompany a partner to such appointments.
● The right to unpaid time off to care for dependants
● The right to maternity leave
● The right to be consulted in relation to a business transfer or collective redundancies
● The right not to be discriminated against on the grounds of any of the protected characteristics
● The right not to suffer detriment as a result of union membership or activities
● The right to annual leave and pay during annual leave and rest breaks
● The right to receive national minimum wage
● The right to be treated less favourably because of fixed term or part time status
● The right to be accompanied to a grievance or disciplinary hearing.